Effective Team Leadership
SAQA ID 242824, level 4, 12 credits
This skills programme forms part of the Further Education and Training Certificate in Generic Management Level 4.
Leadership is about the knowledge, attitudes and behaviours used to influence people in order to achieve a desired mission. A leader can be a manager, but a manager is not necessarily a leader.
Every group that you may have the privilege of leading, will differ from previous groups in as many ways as individuals differ from each other, making each team unique and special in its own way.
Your ability to lead and motivate people is very important to achieve success as a manager. Your team depends on you to provide leadership; they expect you to lead them through change, make the tough decisions that sometimes need to be made, and focus efforts productively on the most important tasks.
Leadership isn’t about dominating people. It’s about having high expectations and helping people meet them. It’s about making tough decisions and having the courage to take risks.
Is it right for me?
This learning programme is ideal for all professionals who need to apply practical and inspirational leadership concepts at work. It will enable delegates to gain insight into the role of leadership within a work context, and provide them with the skills and knowledge to add value to their teams.
- Understanding the concept of leadership
- Differentiating between leadership and management
- Discovering and applying effective leadership techniques to individuals and teams
- Evaluating the impact of the leadership techniques you have applied
Explain the concept of leadership
- Identifying and understanding the various definitions of leadership
- Highlighting the roles and qualities of great leaders
Differentiate between the concepts of leadership and management
- Practically differentiating between leadership and management
- Understanding the circumstances in which a team leader manages or leads
Apply leadership techniques to individuals and teams within the work context
- Identifying various theories of leadership
- Deciding on which leadership approach to use based on the individual, team and organisational requirements
- Implementing leadership techniques in order to improve group dynamics and achieve objectives
Evaluate the impact of the leadership techniques applied
- Measuring the impact of the leadership techniques you have used against organisational requirements
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the techniques
- Taking corrective actions, where appropriate, to improve the effectiveness of the individual or team